Video post: Hey look, Ubuntu is on tv

As seen on American TV CBS show on May 18, Ubuntu is shown as the favorite Linux operating system of a physicist character. While I am grateful for the product placement, people should know “Ubuntu is for human beings too.”

Update1 : The show was CBS’s “Big Bang Theory”
Update2 : I heard that Safari was improperly displaying the video so I updated the embedded flash call.

Be the first to like.

This entry was posted in Linux. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Video post: Hey look, Ubuntu is on tv

1. Mike says:

That’s what I don’t like about that TV show. If that character were real, he would be a Gentoo or LSF user. Outside chance for Scientific Linux.

2. What Will We Use Editor says:

LSF is not an operating system. It is a job scheduler which runs on Linux distributions like Gentoo and Scientific Linux (a Red Hat Enterprise Linux based OS from CERN). Everything you mention is great for High Performance Computing where Linux has over 80% marketshare. SUSE and RHEL/Centos are good for HPC due to the slow release cycle of the product. Who has time to image all of those nodes every 6months? Even so, I have seen Fedora in HPC due to bleeding edge support. You are right though, Ubuntu is not famous in the HPC space.

With all of that said, the desktop/laptop platform is different. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, or OpenSUSE are likely candidates for phd’s to use on the desktop. You know, stuff that will run matlab http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/current_release/linux.html

3. Mike says:

Sorry, when I wrote LSF I meant LFS, aka Linux From Scratch.

Not to go too far off topic, but this guy isn’t doing HPC on a laptop, but the character is someone who would want to control every optimization and compiler flag that was used in building his operating system. I mentioned Scientific Linux because of its association with CERN.

What that video shows is that to the average writer of a TV show, Ubuntu Linux is something that would be used by an ubergeek.

4. What Will We Use Editor says:

I see what you mean Mike. In that case, the character in reality might kick it old-school with Slackware.

5. nominem says:

What TV show was this?

6. Mackenzie says:

The Big Bang Theory

7. Mackenzie says:

Mike said:

Unfortunately, I’m afraid you’re right. This isn’t showing at all that it’s ready for average users. I know the show has a few non-geeks. Maybe at some point one of them will be shown using Ubuntu.